Halloween might be over but here’s some seriously scary facts about Welsh National Opera’s brand new musical production of Sweeney Todd which you can see here from 19-21 November!
- There are 6 types of stage blood used in each performance of Sweeney Todd, and they come in a variety of thicknesses – great for spurting and dripping.
- Some of the blood effects look just as gruesome as the real thing, some cast members have to take a whole mouthful of the stuff just before going onstage!
- One particularly violent murder involves a complex set of under-costume tubes and plungers.
- Sweeney’s razors come in all shapes and sizes – 3 styles of cutthroat blade are used in the show.
- In the song ‘A Little Priest’ Sweeney and Mrs Lovett sing about 31 flavours of pie – all made from human flesh…like a shepherd’s pie with actual shepherd in!
- With 9 principals, a 60-strong chorus and a lot of blood, the touring wardrobe department have no choice but to take their washing machines on tour with them!
- Despite using washable stage blood, it still takes 6 loads to make the costumes clean and ready for the next night’s performance of the musical.
- In rehearsals, the first person to sit in the chair was David Arnsperger, Sweeney, the demon barber himself!
- The cast go into make-up and wigs up to an hour and a half before each show – it takes time to get just the right look of madness and depravity!
See Sweeney Todd in all its gory glory if you dare from 19 – 21 November here at Birmingham Hippodrome. Book tickets via our website where you can choose your own seat or call our Box Office on 0844 338 5000. Tickets from £16.50. [Ticket price subject to change. 5% transaction charge, plus postage from £1. 0844 calls to us will cost you 4.5p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge.]
Recommended age 12 +